Performance of Orissa Rajya Talaguda Samabaya Sangha Ltd.
Palm industry is a labour intensive traditional village Industry known to mankind for its economic viability from the dawn of civilisation. Different types of palm trees can provide food to the poor, shelter to the homeless and employment to unemployed to earn their livehood. The juice (Neera) extracted from the tree can be converted to jaggeries and the leaves are utilised for production of a host of artistic and useful leaf articles. The trunk and other parts of the tree has useful applications in day to day life. Different products are directly obtained by processing the juice (Neera) extracted by the tappers from the palm trees. Pamlgur is obtained by evaporation of juice to a semisolid stage. Palm sugar and palm candy are obtained in crystal form prepared out of palm syrup at the appropriate state of concentration. Palm candy is also produced by crystallising the palm juice at a critical temperature which has a lot of demand. Neera which is rich in minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates, protein can meet the daily requirement of man. The other valuable items of products are palm fibre, palm brushes, palm hand sticks, fancy leaf articles etc.
In the state of Orissa palm trees are abundantly seen in the coastal as well as tribal regions. It has been estimated that 40 lakhs (approx.) palm trees (datepalm, palmyrah trees, sago palm) are existing in the state, which have potential to generate huge employment in the rural and backward areas. About 30,000 beneficiaries (tapper community) are associated with these activities that mainly belong to SC, ST and other weaker sections of the society. In our state the above activities were carried on by a few societies and voluntary organisations at selected places in the early period of post independence era. Realising the employment potential of these activities primary cooperatives were organised in the village area and production started in massive scale. The State Govt. has established the Apex Cooperative Federation (Orissa Rajya Talaguda Samabaya Sangh) in the year 1959 with the sole objective of expanding palmgur activities all over the state.
This Apex Cooperative Federation is working under the administrative control of the Industries Department. The affairs of the organisation is managed by a board of management headed by an elected President along with 21 elected representatives of primary societies including three Govt. nominees, namely President OKVI Board, Excise Commissioner and Registrar Cooperative Societies, Orissa, apart from a full time Managing Director. The authorised share capital is Rs.60 lakhs & Rs.1 lakh worth of share belong to the State Govt.
The federation was funded by KVIC through OK&VI Board in form of grant / loan and the affiliated societies were provided financial assistance upto the year 199495 to carry on the production activities in palm industry sector. Presently, the artisans are being assisted under SGSY scheme and Federation is extending all possible assistance to the artisans in the area of training, skill upgradation, supplying of tools, equipments which assisting marketing them in products manufactured by them.
Although there were 66 primary societies affiliated to the Apex Organisation, presently only 50 societies are functioning in 12 districts of the state. The list of working societies is mentioned below.
1. Padmapur Talgur Coop. Society At Imamnagar, PO Padmapur
2. Mohasinghpur Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Mahana
3. Mahanga Talgur Coop. Society At Saigoda, PO Manoharpur
4. Nischintakoili Talgur Coop. Society At Banamalipur, PO Sukarpada
5. Kishore Nagar Talgur Coop Society At Nakkuoyr, PO Kishoraenagar
6. Nilamadhaba Talgur Coop. Society At Talapunjee, PO Jagatsinghpur
7. Shree Jagannath Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Biranarasinghpur
8. Swarajya Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Jenapur
9. Pipil Talgur Coop. Society At Sinapur, PO Pipli
10. Prachi Talgur Coop. Society At Gajabara, PO Charichhaka
11 Banadurga Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Malud
12 Attarsing Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Attarsingh
13. Baliasahi Talgur Coop. Society At Brahmanapara, PO Cheliguda
14. Malikeswar Talgur Coop. Society At Dambadhgia, PO Cheliguda
15. Ramagiri Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Godibandha
16. Baradanga Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Baradanga
17. Nuagada Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Nuagada
18. Gopabandhu Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Rayagada
19. Ambeda Talgur Coop. Society At Ambeda, PO Gayatajuba
20. Manikeswari Talgur Coop. Society At Barianbandha, PO Badasindhaba
21. Pabala Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Pabala, PO Karatapatta
22. Tarabha Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At/PO Tarabha
23. Talcher Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Setelandpur, PO Talcher
24. Kandhakoili Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Kandhakoile, PO Jagannathpur
25. Kenchuanali Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Kenchuanali, PO Kantapara
26. Ganjada Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Ganjada, PO Kantapara
27. Kumari Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Kumari, PO Kotyhabhin
28. Bhagirathipur Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Bhagirathipur, PO Thakurgod
29. Kantabeda Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Kantabeda, PO Tainshi
30. Kasinathpur Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Kasinathpur, PO Kantabeda
31. Anthulia Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Antulia, PO Kothabhuin
32. Salar Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Salar, PO Puruna Kote
33. Bamur Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Bamur, PO Kishorenagar
34. Ashrubahal Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Ashrubahal, PO Kishoreganj
35. Jagatsinghpur Talgur Coop. Society At Gopalsagar, PO Jagatsinghpur
36. Raghunathpur Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Raghunathpur
37. Biribati Talgur Coop. Society At Utarsasan, PO Madhyasasan
38. Thakurpatna Talgur Coop. Society At Santasahi, PO Kendrapara
39. Garadpur Talgur Coop. Society AtPO Parakana, Via Nuapara
40. Biraja Talgur Coop. Society At Kadandapur, PO Puruna Bazar
41. Dasarathpur Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Dasarathpur
42. Balichandrapur Talgur Coop. Society AtPO Balichandrapur
43. Jagulai Talgur Coop. Society At Jagannathpur, PO Trinath Bazar
44. Dhamnagar Talgur Coop. Society At/PO Dhamnagar
45. Anithapalli Talgur Coop. Society At Mahamadpur, PO Hirakud II
46. Faramula Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At/PO Faramula
47. Sanahunda Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Sanahunda, PO Kantimili
48. Bhaktapur Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Sarsingh, PO Nuabaga
49. Dudhukateni Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Dudhukateni, PO Chaulia
50. Khandabandha Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Khandabandha, PO Kalunigadia
51. Birikhunti Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Birikhunti, PO Joranda
52. Padapada Talgur Indl. Coop. Society At Badapada, PO Hindol Road
The performance of palm industries sector during last three years is mentioned below:
Itemwise production, sale and employment for last 3 years are furnished in Table 4.3.
Palm Orchards / Palm complexes / Sales Centres
The federation has developed palm orchads over an area of 38.10 acres at different places with valuable plantation to continue the research work, design development of various palm products. Besides there are 4 palm complexes with production centres located at Bahugram in Cuttack District, Podapada in Dhenkanal District, Chhelligada in Gajapati District and Parikuda in Puri District. The Federation has three sales outlets located at Chandinichowk inside Cuttack Municipality, Unit II, Market Building inside Bhubaneswar Municipality and Badapodia Market in Paradeep. The various palm products manufactured by departmental production units as well as the palm products of artisans, Handicrafts & Village Industries products are also being sold in these sale centres.